Adding elegance and style to your home and at the same time bringing much-needed warmth to your room is not a difficult task when choosing an electric fireplace. There are so many different types for you to choose from and if you already have a fireplace that you would like to cover with an electric fireplace insert, or if you just want to add a new electric fireplace to a simple room, there is sure to be something out there that will fit your needs. needs.
We have some great reviews of electric fireplaces to help you learn about some of the best models on the market today, while our comprehensive buying guide can be used as a tool to learn more about these heating appliances and to find out what to look for when Try to find the best electric fireplace to use as a heat source and focal point in your home.
What is the best electric fireplace?
The best electric fireplace on the market, an efficient design model with very real flames.
The best electric fireplaces on the market
Fireplaces, once essential in every home, are no longer found as often in modern homes. Fortunately, you can enjoy fascinating flames and optional warmth in any room in your home with an electric fireplace. These easy-to-install units are powered by electricity and require no ventilation. You will also save yourself the work of storing firewood, caring for logs, and cleaning up soot and ash.
Freestanding electric fireplaces are perfect for rooms that don’t have a pre-existing fireplace, but if you want to convert your traditional wood-burning fireplace, look for an electric insert or log set.
Here are the best electric fireplaces for your home.
- ROMANTIC FOR THE HOME: Latest technology in a housing that takes up little space. The Klarstein Blockhouse fireplace heats with its heater …
- COZY HEAT: The simple and beautiful Klarstein virtual fireplace heats comfortably with its heater, with adjustable output of 1000 or 2000 …
- FIREPLACE ENVIRONMENT ALL YEAR ROUND: Particularly impressive are the decorative wood pieces that are noted by the light of the illusion of …
Instantly improve the atmosphere (and heating) in any room in your house with this Klarstein electric fireplace. Measuring 50 x 18 x 3.98 centimeters, you can choose to mount it on the wall for a recessed look, or simply hang it on the wall to enjoy the bright flames in 12 different striking shades. The bright LED fire bed can also be customized with 12 different color options, making it easy to mix and match the colors of the flames and rocks for a unique look in your space and environment. It is also available in a variety of other sizes, ranging from 12 to 24 inches.
The heater comes complete with touch screen buttons on the front of the unit, and an included remote control to help you control the brightness and colors of the flames. Additionally, this wall mounted electric fireplace is equipped with a heater to beat the chill in cold weather. Although the heater does not have a thermostat, it can be set to the lowest power (750 watts) or the highest power (1500 watts). Reviewers note that although they are satisfied with how well this unit is capable of heating a room, it is not possible to actually direct the flow of warm air when using the heater.
- ✅DECORATION AND HEATING: Quite nice electric fireplace, decorative with pebble and elegant design, it serves to heat and decorate the …
- ✅HIGH QUALITY: Made of solid stainless steel and tempered glass that is 5mm thick which allows for playability. It has certifications of …
- ✅FANTASTIC EFFECT: It has a flame effect with brightness intensity adjustable to 5 levels. It has 18 lights on two sides of 7 colors that …
For a fireplace that makes a statement in any room in your home, pick up the Homcom fireplace. This model reflects the look of a modern fireplace, thanks to its contemporary design and its mantle of crown molding,
Complete with a 1500 watt heater for optional heat of up to 5,118 BTU, you can put this fireplace in operation for eight hours, and you can control it using a remote control or a touch screen panel. The settings and temperature buttons are conveniently hidden from the fireplace when not in use.
Dimplex has been manufacturing electric fireplaces since 1995 and has a reputation for producing models with realistic looks and functional characteristics. The Royce fireplace is no exception, and critics are impressed by the looks of this electric fireplace. Additionally, this model is noted for the use of solid hardwoods and birch veneer to give this unit a more substantial look.
- ✅ Pretty nice electric fireplace, decorative with burning wood effect and elegant floor-standing design, it serves to heat and decorate the room, …
- ✅High quality: Made of solid iron with good painting, resistant and solid. It has CE, GS, TUV certifications
- ✅Controlled by front cover covered control panel. By turning the knob to adjust the intensity of the, it works silently and you …
A vertical electric fireplace gives you many placement options and is a great solution if your home lacks an existing fireplace. This popular model from the Home Decorators Collection features an attractive faux stone finish, and an electric log set with a 1,500-watt infrared heater with up to 5,200 BTUs.
One of the most unique features of the Highland freestanding fireplace is the Spectrafire flame technology, which gives it an adjustable flame look. Choose from three blue or amber color options for a unique look. You can also use the electronic timer function to program the fireplace to automatically turn off after 30 minutes or up to nine hours of use.
Critics frequently mention how beautiful and realistic the flames appear. In addition, this electric fireplace has Safer Plug technology, which controls the temperature of the plugs and automatically turns off the unit if it overheats.
- QUALITY AND SAFETY: all RICHEN brand electric fireplaces are CE certified by TÜV Rheinland.
- FIREPLACE: This electronic fireplace offers a realistic 3D fireplace effect. It is electrically dimmable and adjustable in 4 levels. The output of …
- COLOR CHANGE OF THE LED LIGHT – The decorative fireplace LED light strip allows you to choose from 13 atmospheric colors in any …
Transform your existing fireplace into a low-maintenance, easy-to-use solution with an electric fireplace insert. The Richen does just that, preserving the traditional aesthetics of a conventional fireplace with a glass door and mesh screen, while giving you instant access to flames and heat. There’s no stoking the fire or sweeping up the ashes afterward, and the included log set even creaks to give you a more complete fireplace experience. Critics are quick to comment on how enjoyable this electric fireplace is to see and hear.
This electric fireplace insert is 13 inches wide (total unit width is 14 inches), although smaller sizes are available if you skip the glass door option. The heater is rated at 1,500 watts and includes an adjustable thermostat so you can find the setting that’s comfortable for you or you don’t need the heat.
- ✅ADJUSTABLE POWER: Regulate the power of your heater according to your needs: 950 / 1850W. The temperature and brightness of the LED flame also …
- ✅MAXIMUM SECURITY: to guarantee your safety, the fireplace has a heating radiator and a thermal cut-off device, which …
- ✅LAMA LED: The effect of the flame is very successful and has decoration firewood. Includes the LED flame only option, so you can use your …
If you’re shopping for an electric fireplace to keep you toasty in cold weather, check out the Homcom electric stove. In addition to having some of the most realistic flames of many electric fireplaces on the market, this model also has an impressive 5,200 BTU heater.
Using quartz infrared heating technology, you will quickly feel the warmth of this electric fireplace heater in the room. Infrared heat does not affect humidity levels, it will not cause dry air like other conventional heaters do. Critics rave about the good looks of this electric fireplace heater with 3D logs, but also mention how well it keeps them warm in the middle of winter or when it’s chilly in the air.
- ELEGANT: The Klarstein Kamin FX electric fireplace works completely without fire and is lit with a simple button. The fireplace can simply …
- MIMOUS HEAT: Its soft light is generated by a low consumption 2W LED and realistically imitates, with its movement, the effect of burning logs …
- ROMANTIC: It is possible to enjoy the romantic atmosphere created by the fireplace every night throughout the year. During the summer also …
If you want to add the convenience of an electric unit to an existing fireplace, purchase an electric fireplace log set. This Duraflame charcoal and firewood uses infrared heat to warm you up in a hurry, while the flames glow inside the fireplace, with no ash for later. This electric fireplace insert provides up to 5,200 BTUs of heat, but you are free to adjust the temperature with a dial mounted on the side of the unit. Plus, you can use the flames independently of the heater for a cozy atmosphere all year round.
Reviewers noted that this electric firewood set has been a great addition to their unused fireplaces. Additionally, this fireplace heater can heat rooms up to 92 square meters, and many people say it does a great job of heating medium to large-sized rooms.
- 1. Important. This product is only available from Endeavor Fires. Any other seller is fraudulent. Please check the purchase box …
- 2. 100% LED lighting with surprisingly realistic flame effect.
- 3. To meet the requirements of eco design 2018 (Lot20), this product is designed and manufactured to produce optimum energy efficiency …
For a fireplace that doesn’t sacrifice style or quality, check out the Holbeck fireplace. Measuring 56 x 16 x 47.25 centimeters, this large electric fireplace is available in both English oak and bleached finishes. The traditional look is completed with a hardwood veneer mantle, perfect for displaying photo frames or keepsakes.
This large electric fireplace is equipped with a 1,500 watt heater and can produce up to 5,000 BTUs. It is designed to cool rooms up to 92 square meters. The thermostat ranges from 72 to 99 degrees Celsius, and other handy features include a timer and variable flame brightness.
Critics are especially impressed by the seamless integration of this electric fireplace into existing décor; Many users say that it looks built-in and is a great addition to their home’s living space.
- Height: 40 cm Width: 110 cm Depth: 15 cm
- 6 stainless steel burners of 0.5 liters
- Color: white, as in the photo.
Who says you can’t keep enjoying the look of an electric fireplace without spending several hundred euros? The affordable Bio MOD Electric Fireplace costs just 159 euros, but features a 7-by-7-inch firebox with a wood-look frame and mantle.
Critics note that the Bruxton fireplace’s features and finishes are basic, but it earns plenty of positive reviews for its heating power. Several users note that it may not have the most realistic flames, but that it works just as well as an electric heater, with more visual appeal. Keep in mind that this inexpensive heater does not have a thermostat, so you will have to settle for a simple ‘on and off’ operation. However, you can enjoy the flames with the heating element off, which makes it a good choice to enjoy the atmosphere all year round.
- MANY DETAILS: With the St. Moritz fireplace you will have the elegant complement for your home. With their elegant white wood effect, the handles …
- REAL APPEARANCE: When lit, it gives life to a beautiful simulation of flames, which floods the room with a warm light, as if it were a …
- COZY HEAT: All controls are discreetly integrated into the front of the case. Pressing a button turns the unit on …
The Klarstein St. Mortiz Convertible Electric Fireplace is a traditional-looking electric fireplace that will bring an attractive and authentic feature to your home. With some great features and high-quality performance, you can be sure this will be the perfect fireplace for your home.
The flames in this fireplace dance like real flames and are multi-colored. With logs burning like life and embers pulsing, this fireplace’s visual effects couldn’t be more realistic. The interior of the fireplace is finished in a brick look to add more character and you can also add lighting for more lighting if you wish.
The multimedia fireplace accommodates a flat screen TV up to 17 inches wide and can support a weight of up to 85 pounds. Surrounding the fireplace are dark colored tiled frames that have earthy tones.
You can install this fireplace in a corner if you wish, or alternatively, it can be placed against a flat wall.
This fireplace is capable of heating a room of up to 37 square meters and connects to a standard electrical outlet without the need for any special wiring. The cable is 2 meters long for flexibility.
- ELEGANT AND MODERN APPEARANCE: Very beautiful, decorative electric fireplace with burning wood effect and elegant design. It serves to heat and …
- ✅REALISTIC LED LIGHT EFFECT: The realistic flame effect can be used with or without heating to enjoy the light even in the summer …
- ✅INCLUDES REMOTE CONTROL: Controlled by remote control (batteries not included). The remote control distance is 1-5m.
Electric fireplace with remote control and wood effect: Homcom
This is the electric fireplace to go to if you want to replace a real old fireplace while maintaining the authentic look of your room. This 12-inch unit can distribute the heat in your room and make you feel relaxed and happy to be at home.
The look of the product really feels like the real thing, and it’s hard to tell that it is an electric unit. If you have guests, they may not be able to tell the difference. The manufacturers put a lot of work into it, thus ensuring that the interior brick wall design, resin logs, and other aspects make it look authentic.
What is really impressive is the power of the unit itself. Since it has electronic temperature control, you can set it to give you the right temperature for your room. Meanwhile, you also have a thermostat that you can adjust for the proper heat level. You can adjust it between 60 ° F and 84 ° F.
Furthermore, the LED technology implemented in this unit will also save energy. And apart from that, you will have no problem installing it, so you can go directly to heat the place. The product has a voltage of 120.
Buying guide: What to take into account when buying a good electric fireplace?
There are so many options when it comes to purchasing an electric fireplace that you may be wondering where to start. That’s why we’ve included this buying guide to help you get a little more information about buying the best electric fireplace for your needs.
Reasons to buy an electric fireplace
There are many compelling reasons to choose an electric fireplace for your home.
- Electric fireplaces come in all kinds of styles so you can easily match them with your home décor.
- Since electric fireplaces do not burn fuel, they do not produce harmful gases in the air, and there are no fuels that need to be stored safely.
- You can feel safer around electric fireplaces as they do not get hot to the touch. There is also no risk of embers jumping from the electric fireplace.
- When you have an electric fireplace, you will find that there is very little cleaning that needs to be done other than dusting. This will take just a minute or two each week and you can enjoy an easy-to-maintain appliance.
- Many electric fireplaces do not have any special installation requirements. You won’t even need to hire a professional most of the time. You can simply place the fireplace in the position you want and immediately, it can be plugged into a socket and turned on.
- Electric fireplaces do not have to be used for heating. You can use an electric fireplace with the visual fire while turning off the heat. This allows you to create an attractive feature in your home year-round without wasting energy.
Features to take into account when buying a good electric fireplace
Today’s electric fireplaces are equipped with a number of features that offer comfort and enjoyment, as well as those that offer greater ease of use. You will want to consider whether these features are available on the units you are considering before making a purchasing decision.
- Timer : A timer is a very useful feature as it allows you to set how long your fireplace will operate. For example, if you are using the fireplace to heat a bedroom, you can set the timer to turn off the fireplace when you wake up in the morning.
- Thermostat : A programmable thermostat is a very nice feature to have, as it helps to ensure that the room is always at the temperature that you prefer. Many electric fireplaces offer thermostats that can be adjusted from the mid 60 degree F mark to the mid or high 80 degree. This allows you to be comfortable at all times without having to constantly turn the heater on or off.
- Screen : When choosing between electric fireplaces, you will need to consider the type of screen. Newer units offer LED displays, but older units can use LCD technology. Some units combine LED screens with glass ember beds and fake fire logs, too. You should also ensure that the screen is always cool to the touch, especially if there are children or pets nearby while the fireplace is operating.
- Remote control : Operability is a big consideration with electric fireplaces. Most offer a simple on / off switch for manual operation, but some also include touch screen controls. However, most should come with a remote control that allows you to operate the heater from a distance. This ensures that you can raise or lower the temperature, adjust the fan, change the color of the flame, adjust the thermostat settings, or turn on the countdown timer without ever getting up from your seat.
- Fire without heat : There is something undeniably fascinating about the fire dance. The ability to have fire without heat can transform your events during the spring and summer. Imagine adding the romance of dancing flames to a summer date night in your living room, or the atmosphere of natural flames with a spring dinner. Look for electric fireplaces that allow you to ignite the effects of flames without having to use the heater.
- Overheating Protection : This is not so much a usage feature as a safety consideration. Your electric fireplace produces heat. There is a possibility of overheating, which could damage the fireplace, or even cause a fire. It is vital that you choose an electric fireplace that offers protection against overheating, so that if the temperature exceeds the safe operating range of the unit, it will automatically shut down before it becomes a safety hazard.
- Multiple Color Options : Most electric fireplaces offer a number of color options and flame effects. These range from tall, orange flames to low, blue flames. Many models feature three different color settings, as well as a handful of effects to help you create the perfect setting for your mood, activity, or environment.
Advantages of electric fireplaces
Depending on the make and model you purchase, electric fireplaces can offer a myriad of benefits, especially when compared to older heating options like wood-burning fireplaces or old-style heaters.
- Price : One of the most important benefits here is cost. You’ll find electric fireplaces available for much less than most other types of heating would cost, including installing a new central heating and air system, or building a traditional fireplace. They are also less expensive to operate over time, particularly when combined with LED technology.
- Cleanliness : With a traditional fireplace, there is a lot of clutter. Burning wood creates ash, which must be removed with a shovel and then discarded. Embers can erupt, sending ash into your living room, and even burning your carpet. With electric fireplaces, there is none of that clutter – just simple enjoyment and reliable heating.
- Zone heating: Zone heating is a concept that focuses on heating the areas of the house that you are using at the time to save money on your energy bill. By turning off the central heating system and using an electric fireplace, you can save on trying to heat your entire home when you are using only one room.
- Safety : Traditional fireplaces can be very dangerous. There’s the threat of a fireplace fire, embers igniting carpets or setting curtains on fire, and more. You should also be concerned that children and pets come into contact with an open flame or hot metal surface. There is also the danger of smoke production. With electric fireplaces, you don’t have any of those worries. LED technology ensures that the screen is always cool to the touch, and there is no real flame to worry about.
- Customization : Unlike traditional fireplaces, electric fireplaces can help you achieve the custom look you want in your home for less money. You can choose from TV console style fireplaces, freestanding options, inserts and more to get the look and feel you want.
Types of electric fireplaces
Electric wall-mounted fireplaces
When you buy an electric wall fireplace, you will see that it will work very easily. To use this type of fireplace, simply plug it into a power outlet. The hardest part is screwing it to the wall. Most wall-mounted electric fireplaces are very light and easy to transport. Sometimes you will be able to just drop everything and install it. However, it is easier for someone else to help you install this type of fireplace.
Wall mount electric fireplaces are generally installed higher up on the wall. There are no restrictions on where you can hang your wall fireplace, so you can place the fireplace out of the reach of children and pets. As you can see, with the flexibility to install these fireplaces wherever you want, electric wall-mounted fireplaces are very safe.
When you buy a wall fireplace, you will find that they look very modern and can add a unique look to your home. While they are popular appliances these days, many people still prefer the look of a traditional fireplace and choose not to go for a wall fireplace.
Inserted electric fireplaces (or work)
If you already have a fireplace, you can use it without making drastic changes with the purchase of an electric fireplace insert. You can buy them in two different types – electric wood inserts and electric fireplaces.
An electric fireplace insert will give you a realistic and traditional look to the flame and log. Some of them even have “embers” that glow to give an authentic look without any of the downsides of real fireplaces.
You can also find many different sizes of fireplace inserts, so you can be sure to find one that matches the size of your current fireplace.
Some of the features of electric fireplaces that a real fireplace might not have include remote control operation and temperature and flame controls.
You can install these fireplaces with ease by simply securing them in a spot where your current fireplace is located, and then simply plugging the fireplace into a nearby outlet.
Electric fireplace stoves
Stoves have been a popular way of producing heat for many years, but the problem is that they require ventilation, and often a lot of maintenance is required with these heaters. If you like the look of an electric stove, but don’t want to install one that burns fuel, you can choose an electric stove instead.
Electric fireplace stoves are freestanding so you don’t have to worry about wall-building them or even doing any kind of ventilation for them. Just plug the appliance into an outlet and they are ready to use. With no installation costs, these electric heaters are a great choice.
You also won’t have to worry about power consumption as these heaters are very cost effective. You can even control the temperature of the stove or turn off the heat completely to enjoy the flame. The realistic effect of the fire on the stove is impressive, and it doesn’t have to be too hot while relaxing near the fire thanks to the electrical operation.
Typically, electric fireplace stoves are suitable for heating rooms between 37 and 55 square meters. You can also check out our reviews on the best wood burning stoves and highest quality pellet stoves.
Fixed or portable vertical electric fireplaces
The different types of fireplaces mentioned above can be found as stationary or freestanding fireplaces. The type you choose depends largely on your home and your own personal needs.
If you want to save money on the cost of installing a fireplace, you can choose a freestanding fireplace. By using other furniture or simply by placing it against the wall, you can add a great looking heating solution to your home. This is also great for those who are renting or for those who cannot make any modifications to their home, as these types of electric fireplaces simply plug into a socket and are immediately ready for use.
However, if you are limited in space, you should consider getting a fixed fireplace and even a mounted fireplace. A mounted fireplace is usually a safe way to add warmth to your home and is usually safe to install near a television. Many people like to install it as a centerpiece and require very little experience to install. You can also install a mounted fireplace or a fireplace insert. Again, these need very little installation work.
How to choose the correct size of electric fireplace
Electric fireplaces are often designed to make a statement in your home. If you have a particularly small home or room, you will need to make sure you choose the electric fireplace that is best for you. Be careful with mantle fireplaces and oversized wall fireplaces, as these can be quite large.
If you already have a location for your fireplace, you need to make sure you take careful measurements. An existing fireplace is an ideal place to install a fireplace insert, as it will mean that you don’t need to do any complicated work on your old fireplace. However, in order for the insert to fit, you will need to make sure that the size of the fireplace matches the size of the insert.
When you are shopping for a wall fireplace, you need to think about the size that you want your fireplace to be. If you are mounting it under your television, do you want your fireplace to be larger than your television or vice versa? The fireplace can distract you if you have flames burning while you watch television.
Whichever electric fireplace you choose, remember that it must be powerful enough to heat your room. You need to measure the perimeter of your room and multiply the length by the width in meters to find out how many square meters your room is. Once you know this figure, you can compare it to the values given in the product descriptions for the various electric fireplaces you see. You will have to make sure that the fireplace can heat the area you need.
What is an electric fireplace and what are the characteristics of efficient electric fireplaces?
Ah, here we are. Finally, we talk about the characteristics of the most realistic electric fireplace. No ventilation is needed here and that’s just a huge benefit. You just plug the unit into an existing outlet or wire it up and voilà! You get warmth and viewing pleasure.
Any of these products, regardless of whether we are talking about an independent fireplace can become a piece of furniture for your home. You don’t get that with other fireplaces. These are perfect for your office, small apartment, or condo. Heck, even if you’re a tenant, you can unplug it and take it with you. The convenience factors are off the charts and you don’t even need to see electric fireplace reviews to know.
You don’t need to change anything on the outside and inside of your house to have a heater. No need for a chimney, no plumbing, maintenance is easy – which is not to love. With the exception of the best built-in electric fireplaces, you really don’t need to remodel anything inside your room. They all have some kind of heating element, so it’s not just looks. The three main types would be:
- Metallic heat resistance
- Ceramic heating element
- The quartz heating mechanism
The latter is becoming more and more popular because they do not heat the air but the objects. Don’t miss to check out some of the infrared electric fireplace reviews if you get the chance.
The shortest way to conclude this section would be to say that an electric fireplace is much closer to the most energy efficient heaters on the market than a normal fireplace. Well it’s a space heater but with a great look. And that’s what really counts. Do you want blue flames on your wall? You already have it!
How Electric Fireplaces Work
Before buying an electric fireplace, it is a good idea to know how an electric fireplace works. To produce heat, electric fireplaces use metal coils. These coils convert electricity into heat and heat up. A fan is built into the design of the fireplace and this causes the heat from the element to exit the fireplace and into the room. The coils are the only part of the fireplace that heats up during this process and they do not transfer this heat to the shell in any way, making the fireplace safe for you to use in your home.
In addition to producing heat, electric fireplaces also often have a realistic-looking flame. The flame is created using LEDs or regular light bulbs and the light is bounced around the flame area by refraction, giving the impression of a living flame. There are other types of electric fireplaces as well and these have a more modern and less authentic looking flame.
You can use an electric fireplace that is a full free-standing fireplace or you can use a fireplace insert, which is placed in the area of the firebox where your current fireplace is located. Fireplace inserts are a safer alternative to using wood for a fireplace and can be installed without the need to make any changes to your fireplace. This can be a cost effective way to repurpose an old fireplace and fireplace area.
Safety tips for a must-read electric fireplace
When you receive your electric fireplace, you will surely want to install and operate it as soon as possible, but before you do, make sure you know these important safety tips to avoid injury or fire caused by the electric fireplace.
- Electric fireplaces plug into electrical outlets for easy installation, but if the electrical outlet isn’t close enough to the heater, don’t be tempted to use an extension cord. It is easy to overload an extension cord and this can cause a fire. You should move the fireplace closer to an outlet or have an electrician move the outlet closer.
- The heating element in your electric fireplace will get very hot when the fireplace is on. You must be careful around electric fireplaces to avoid being burned by the fireplace shell.
- These fireplaces have a fresh air intake and vents to discharge the hot air. You must ensure that the vents are never blocked so that air can circulate properly. Never use the fireplace to hang something, for example to dry clothes.
- When you are not using the fireplace, you must turn it off and unplug it from the outlet. This is especially important if you have children as they may be curious and try to push buttons on the fireplace. If it is unplugged, you cannot accidentally turn it on.
- You should inspect the plug and power cord frequently. It is not uncommon for cables to wear out or become damaged over time and the energy required for electric fireplaces can even cause the cable jacket to be damaged. If you notice that the cord is damaged in any way, you should make sure to stop using the fireplace immediately and call a professional to check and repair the appliance.
- Always supervise children or pets near the fireplace. You should be aware that children try to insert objects into the ventilation ducts, as this could cause a fire.
- You should never install an electric fireplace in a bathroom or anywhere that is damp. Nor should you have water or liquid near the fireplace. If you have an electric fireplace with a blanket, you should avoid placing flower vases in the fireplace or using the blanket to support drinks.
Leaving an electric fireplace running overnight
Electric fireplaces are designed to be safe and as such you shouldn’t worry about leaving them burning overnight. However, even though you can leave the fireplace burning unattended, you should be aware that the problems faced by all electrical appliances also affect electric fireplaces. To prevent something bad from happening when you leave your fireplace burning overnight, you need to make sure you follow some sensible safety protocols.
What to do when you leave the fireplace burning
When you leave your electric fireplace on, you should use your thermostat or temperature control to choose a reasonable temperature. Choose a level that makes you feel comfortable but not excessively hot. The thermostat will protect you from overheating the fireplace, turning it off when it starts to get too hot and turning it back on when the temperature drops.
You should be sure to check everything around the fireplace, including the top, to make sure there is nothing that could catch fire. You should leave a certain space in front of and above the fireplace. Make sure no drinks have been placed on or near the fireplace.
When not to leave the fireplace burning
Using an electric fireplace costs money. Even at the lowest settings, your energy bill will increase the longer the fireplace is left on. If you don’t want any nasty surprises on your bill next month, be sure to turn it off.
How does the installation of an electric fireplace work?
Installing an electric fireplace doesn’t have to be a difficult task. If you have chosen a freestanding fireplace, then it will be even easier to install.
The first thing you will need to do before you start is to measure your room. Make sure the fireplace fits well and that there is a place where it can go without being obstructed.
Next, you will need to check for electrical outlets. You should never use an extension cord with an electric fireplace, so make sure you have a place to plug the fireplace in. You may have to hire an electrician to create an outlet for you or to relocate an existing one.
Now you can get your fireplace and put it in place. You won’t have to screw anything into the wall or make any changes to your home as the heater will plug directly into the outlet.
To install a wall heater, you will need to mark on the wall where you want the heater to go and then drill the holes for the mounting bracket. Then you will have to secure the fireplace to the wall. If you’ve ever installed a large flat-screen TV on the wall, you shouldn’t have a problem installing a wall heater.
Cleaning and maintenance of an electric fireplace
When installing an electric fireplace, it is important that it is positioned carefully so that there is enough space around it. You should measure your room and the area where you want to place the fireplace to be sure that it will be completely safe to use.
Installing a wall or fixed fireplace is a good idea if you have limited space. You need to make sure that nothing is directly in front of the fireplace and that there is about 1-2 meters of free space. This will prevent something from catching fire.
When installing a freestanding fireplace, you also need to make sure that there is nothing near the fireplace that could fall and cause it to fall.
Remember that there must also be space above the fireplace and you must be very careful what is placed in the fireplace if there is one. It may be tempting to place a vase of water and flowers over the fireplace or even momentarily rest a drink over the fireplace, but you should always keep liquids and beverages away from electric fireplaces. As with any other electrical item, these electric heaters are not designed to protect against water. As an alternative energy source, check out our list of infrared heaters.
Frequently Asked Questions about Electric Fireplaces
Electric fireplaces can get very hot, although the amount of heat also depends on the size of the room and the number of BTUs a fireplace produces. Some of them can produce up to 4000-5000 BTUs, while others go down, around 2500-5000 BTUs. All this influences the amount of heat produced in the room, or the intensity of the heat.
Electric fireplaces heat well, but they are more suitable for zone heating rather than heating an entire house, so keep this in mind when making your choice.
Electric fireplaces are highly energy efficient. The heating element takes all the electricity and converts it into energy. About 1% of the energy is wasted in this process.
There is no ventilation duct required for an electric fireplace, so none of the heat can escape to the outside. This means that 100% of the heat generated by the fireplace is emitted into the room. Electric fireplaces heat up quickly and can cool down again relatively quickly when turned off.
You can use an electric fireplace in one of two ways. You can use it as a decorative element using the flame function only without heat, or you can turn on the heat and use it as a heater. However, it doesn’t actually cost that much to run, even if you have the flames and heater running at the same time.
How much you can expect to pay for electricity depends on how much it costs in your area. If your electricity costs 0.12 euros per kW and you use a 1.5Kw fireplace, you can expect to use 0.18 euros per hour. If you have expensive electricity, you will find that the electric fireplace could be very expensive to operate. Of course, you can always compare an electric fireplace with a gas or wood burning one.
You can leave the electric fireplace on overnight if you really need it to prevent the temperature from dropping too low, but if you can turn it off, this would be better. It is always a good idea to try to turn off the fireplace completely and unplug it when you spend long periods of time away from it.
Electric fireplaces can be installed in any room in your house, depending on the space, preferences and options you have. You can mount them on a wall, and they work best in the room where you spend the most time. At the same time, if you need to heat in another room where your existing heat source doesn’t reach, an electric fireplace will do the trick. Since these fireplaces do not cause as much heat compared to other types of fireplaces, it is surprising to use them in smaller rooms where it is impossible to install larger fireplaces such as bathrooms, kitchens, etc.
The number of square feet that an electric fireplace is capable of heating depends, again, on the number of BTUs the device produces. Different models generate different numbers. On average, an electric fireplace should be able to heat at least 37 square meters, but some can reach even higher. If you have a medium sized bedroom or living room around 55 square feet, a 400-5000 BTU electric fireplace should be able to do the job perfectly. So definitely check the BTUs for a specific model at the time of purchase, and you should be able to estimate the number of square feet it can heat.
Conclusion and final opinions of electric fireplaces
Whether you want to add the look of a traditional heating appliance to your home or want an ultra-modern-looking focal point for your room, you will find more fireplace designs available on the market than you might need.
The good thing about having so many fireplace options is that you can certainly find the right electric fireplace for your home. You need to make sure you know exactly what you want your fireplace to look like and what kind of impression you want to make, as well as the dimensions of your room so that you can be sure it will fit.
Our buying guide is full of safety information and tips to help you find and get the most out of your new fireplace. These electric fireplaces reviews also give you a good overview of a variety of some of the best electric fireplaces on the market today.